.In this day and age there is no escape from the harmful toxins that we are exposed to on a daily basis. The air that we breathe, the water that we drink and the foods that we all consume contain toxins, substances that are harmful to our bodies. Unless we take care to reduce our daily toxic exposure and to regularly ‘cleanse’ our bodies of these poisons then we are simply adding to our toxic load. This toxic buildup is harmful to our systems and unless actively eliminated, eventually leads to a compromise of both our physical and mental health.
10 Good Reasons to Detox
- Stress – when we are subjected to prolonged periods of stress, the result is a state of acidity in the body that leads to lowered immunity and ill health.
- Poor diet – a diet high in processed foods containing unnatural additives tends to be low in nutrients and high in unhealthy fats, sodium and sugars, leading to poor digestion and health problems.
- Regular consumption of alcohol and tobacco impact hard on your system. They add to your body’s toxic burden and consumed in excess cause liver and lung diseases and contribute to heart disease.
- Air pollution – especially if you live in a city, you are exposed to pollution from the air that you breathe every day. Increase in asthma and other respiratory diseases are associated with exposure to air pollution.
- Water pollution – the quality of the water you consume has a direct impact on your wellbeing. Unless you are drinking good quality filtered water or mineral water stored in glass bottles then the water you are consuming will be adding to your toxic load.
- Regular use of personal care products that have a chemical, alcohol or mineral base - cleansing and beauty products and the even laundry products you use impact on your health. Some harmful substances are absorbed through the skin leading to increased toxic exposure and risk of disease.
- Lack of exercise – if your lifestyle is mostly sedentary then your body’s lymphatic system does not get the stimulation it needs to perform its job, which is to assist in the removal of waste, pathogens and toxins from your system.
- Travel to or living in a tropical or developing country with poor sanitation – this may increase your risk of exposure to harmful toxins and diseases.
- Regular use of pharmaceutical or recreational drugs – long-term use of any drug increases the toxic burden on the liver, necessitating detox.
Experiencing the following symptoms may indicate that you need to Detox:
- Mood swings
- Digestive problems – diarrhea, gas, bloating, constipation, sluggish system
- Hormonal imbalances
- Weight gain
- Yeast/fungal infections
- Food cravings